I start teaching at a hagwon next week, and I didn't teach my adult students this week because classes were cancelled. Since I don't have any lessons to talk about, it seems like I will have to write about the plan I have for the warm up I'll do next week.
I've never taught children before, and so I'm really nervous about starting next week. I have no idea how to teach children. (I've only taught adults.) It seems appropriate to start the lesson with introducing ourselves since I'm new. I'm not sure whether the students know each other or not. Children are notorious for having short attention spans, so I don't think it'll be the greatest idea to go around and give self-introductions. I could have the children sit in a circle and toss a ball (a bit scared about this part), asking questions to each other, like: What's your favorite food?. I should give a couple of examples before starting the activity, or could brainstorm questions together as a class, using the whiteboard. In order to make sure everyone is paying attention, I'll ask them questions about each other, maybe after every 10th toss. If they don't seem motivated, I may have to reward them with sweets (a tip I received from a fellow teacher). During this activity, I'll make corrections and also give compliments.
Ella, you have the right idea with the catch the ball answer the question game. Anything that involves movement is a great way to teach elementary school kids. It'a also a good idea to prepare a backup activity if you notice that a particular game isn't going over smoothly. Be careful about distributing sweets, as some school directors or parents may be fussy about it. Stickers on the other hand will be well received. I hope it turns out well for you! Working with kids can be great once you get into the swing of things.
ReplyDeleteIs the Hagwon actually giving you any training? Normally, you're lucky if you get a couple of days. Some people naturally find it easy to teach kids (not me) and somehow manage to magically hold their attention (not me!).
ReplyDeleteHowever, in my experience, I agree with Kyle about the sweets. Plus, be very judicious about how the rewards are handed out. If you're too lenient with them, the kids start to see them as just part of their class, rather than for a job-well-done.
Ella, the ball idea is great, I've used it before. You can also use a combined method of sticker charts, and sweets (prizes). For a certain number of points they get a prize. I am currently doing this, and they get really into it, even all the way up to middle school! That way they are working towards a reward, and its not instantanous, but I dpn't make it too easy either, or it becomes expected. Take a look at this site and see if helps. http://www.stickersandcharts.com/
ReplyDelete